RE: [SLUG] hd head crash = what, exactly?

Or it could be covered under warranty =)

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: slug-admin@nospam.slug.org.au [mailto:slug-admin@nospam.slug.org.au] On Behalf
Of Terry Collins
Sent: Sunday, 1 July 2001 7:52 AM
To: cpaul
Cc: slug@nospam.slug.org.au
Subject: Re: [SLUG] hd head crash = what, exactly?

cpaul wrote:

...snip....

> i was using smbclient to back up a windows system over my local
> network to a local ext2 partition... when the copy crashed.  on reboot

> fsck choked and from then on whenever i apply power to the drive it
> goes click, click, click, click for ever until power is disconnected.

> neither parted, fdisk, etc or the manufacturer's tools can get a hold
> of the disk.

...essentially, you now have some scrap metal.
If you have no further use for the scrap metal, I know of a sculpter
whose uses hard disk platters in his work, and a model engeering club
that uses cast metal to make model parts. The circuit board can be
recycled through MIR.

   email: terryc@nospam.woa.com.au  www: http://www.woa.com.au