Re: [SLUG] hd head crash = what, exactly?

cpaul wrote:

...snip....

> i was using smbclient to back up a windows system over my local network to a
> local ext2 partition... when the copy crashed.  on reboot fsck choked and
> from then on whenever i apply power to the drive it goes click, click,
> click, click for ever until power is disconnected.  neither parted, fdisk,
> etc or the manufacturer's tools can get a hold of the disk.

...essentially, you now have some scrap metal.
If you have no further use for the scrap metal, I know of a sculpter
whose uses hard disk platters in his work, and a model engeering club
that uses cast metal to make model parts. The circuit board can be
recycled through MIR.

   email: terryc@nospam.woa.com.au  www: http://www.woa.com.au