Re: [SLUG] Re: Success with X Windows, of a sort ...

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 01:30:45AM +1000, Adam F. Bogacki wrote:
> Actually, the message I received when I had a closer look after sending my
> last (success !!) message was
>
>              "This xserver does not support the Shape extension.
>              This is needed for Enlightenment to run.
>              Your Xserver is probably too old or misconfigured"
>
> I know I have XFree86 Version 4.0.3 installed via apt-get but but my XF86
> Config is 1996 vintage.
>
> Other uggestions I have received include
>
> apt-get install task-x-window-System      (overkill perhaps, but it might
> work)
>
> and
>
> dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86          (a bit more targeted)
>
> At the moment I'm just glad to have my GUI up again but I would like to fix
> the anomaly sometime.
> I assume that Debian potato 2.2.r2 which I initially installed used XFree86
> 4.0.3 - it had a much more aesthetic login.

yes, your X server certainly supports Shape, you need to ensure that it
is enabled in the XF86Config. You should make a new XF86Config file.
It should probably include lines like what I posted to include Shape
support, though your mileage may vary (I don't have an nvidia but I hear
the problem is more general than that).

apt-get install task-x-window-system would ensure to install all the code
needed to get X running, but you probably already have all of this as you
can already run X. I doubt your problem is that you need to install any
new packages.

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 will run through the debianised config
for XFree86-4.0.3. It will write out an XF86Config file. It put one in
/root for me the other day, which was unexpected ;)

Try making a new XF86Config (using dkpg-reconfigure, or by running
xf86config) and check that the miscellaneous extensions ("extmod" are
enabled in it. Make sure it is saved as either /etc/X11/XF86Config or
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

(This never used to be a problem with XFree86-3, shape usually just worked.
It's nice, you really do want it on a tasty video card :)

Conrad.