[SLUG] Success with X Windows, of a sort ...

Hi Matt,  thanks again for your help.

   You were correct ... again ... it was the old XF86Config file.  It
did not list the version number but the heading read

"#Copyright (c) 1996 by the XFree86 Project, Inc"

Anything that old has to predate v.4.0.3 installed via apt-get.

I checked your old config file
[http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16/XF86Config-nv]  via lynx

and could immediately see the difference ...

The error message from reboot after install had read "Device section
"Primary Card" must have a driver line"

I inserted  'Driver  "nv"' in the appropriate place and rebooted. A
slightly different GUI from that before emerged but it accepted
authentification passwords and I was in. The only difference I find is
that I cannot now run Enlightenment. An error message appears saying
that I need the 'Shape' package. When I try 'apt-get install Shape' I
get the message that it cannot find it.

Any ideas ?

Adam (in a much more cheerful mood).
afb3@nospam.primus.com.au