RE: [SLUG] Re. SLUG meeting instructions for newbie

Dear Howard,

	I don't wish to get into a flame war, but could you give me the exact
reference in www.nswtaxi.org.au where the time/distance ration in Sydney
taximeter computer chips is detailed.

	I could not find it.

	Also, you make the assumption that a newbie would be arriving after 10.00
PM to a SLUG meeting which starts at 7.00 PM - unrealistic.

	Depending on the time of day, it is possible for a skilled professional
driver to attain constant green lights. This is done by knowing that each
phase is timed to change so that a driver travelling at (or just under) the
maximum speed limit for that area will get the same phase change as he
arrives.  This assumes no other traffic movement affecting your progress
which is difficult to achieve during normal business hours.

	Nevertheless, the fare you estimate _before_ 10.00 PM is realistic and
supports my contention that the Domestic Airport->UTS taxi fare is very
competitive with the Domestic_>Central railway line, especially if you pay
$1-2 more for the privilege of being deposited on the steps of the Tower
Block.

	Don't misunderstand me - I am a train buff from way back and one of my
great life experiences was travelling around India on third class railway
carriages. I have a lot of respect for Victorian railway engineering. Many
of those involved in setting up the Indian railway system - where many
isolated stations have or had  their own courthouse, police force, porters,
and a whole social infrastructure - were from Australasia as part of the
(then) British Empire.

	QED.

Adam Bogacki
afb3@nospam.primus.com.au