Re: [SLUG] Fw: Side issue about Sydney Linux User Group

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 01:47:29PM +1000, Adam Kennedy wrote:
> I mean, has anyone ever tried explain to a normal person what a
> self-referential non-descriptive acronym IS? And what it has to do with
> software.

Ah no take the Microsoft way here - users don't need to know that.
It's tooo hard :-)

> The problem with GNU/Linux is not about giving credit where credit is due,
> for example Redhat Linux ( ignoring Radhat/GNU/Linux issues for a second ),
> but that by having such a difficult name for his organisation, he makes the
> adoption of it much more difficult.  People will always use a shorter name
> where one can be found.

Yeah like GNU is short, it's snappy and I can remember it.
Geez its not like Hoest is it, well it pronounced as Herkist, but I still
can't remember how to spell it even aftre their TV advertising campain :-)

> Personally, I think that the only time we should NEED to use GNU/Linux is
> for situations where you refer to it formally, that is, in similar
> situations to when you would refer to Redhat as Redhat Linux...
>
> GNU/Linux is longer, harder to type, harder and say, and a nonsensical
> acronym anyways, so it's common use should not really be nescesary or
> expected.

But if you just have it on a sig, say on official SLUG correspondance,
emails etc then you dont have to type it all the time. I have it on my web
site and Royal Society NSW web site. I still say "Linux" all the time to
friends.

> And I don't see RMS enforcing GNU/debian, or GNU/FreeBSD...  or does he. Why
> pick on Linux for any reason other than frustration for not being
> recognised?

Maybe. I prob would feel the same.

Mike
PS. Geez that fortune below this time is good...
--
I/O, I/O, It's off to disk I go, A bit or byte to read or write, I/O, I/O, I/O...

Michael Lake, University of Technology, Sydney
Work: Mike.Lake@nospam.uts.edu.au Ph: 02 9514 1724 Fx: 02 9514 1628
Home: http://www.speleonics.com.au
Linux enthusiast, active caver and interested in anything technical.