Re: [SLUG] Fw: Side issue about Sydney Linux User Group

on Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 01:47:29PM +1000, Adam Kennedy <amnesia@nospam.ali.as> wrote:
> I can't help but think RMS is shooting himself in the foot with the name
> GNU, and GNU/Linux
>
> I mean, has anyone ever tried explain to a normal person what a
> self-referential non-descriptive acronym IS? And what it has to do with
> software.

But could we as (GNU/)linux users at least ack RMS's contrib with a
"GNU/Linux" button on the slug website pointing to the GNU site and RMS's
essays on the topic?

We could use GNU/Linux in the sig of the slug mail.

It would be a sad thing if all the people discovering unix via linux didnt
know that the GNU tools that make such a large and essential part of linux
distn are available on other systems as well.

BB
[who's been using GNU tools for longer than his been using linux, and has
been saved by those tools a few times]