Re: [SLUG] Apache: Compiling in mod_so support (Redhat 7.1)

One thing you should do is to setup rpm so you don't compile as root.

Maximum-RPM is really good: http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/

Building RPM's as root is dangerous, because the binary files are
installed on the system before being packaged. Now if the spec file has
a problem it is possible to pollute your system with broken files.

Also some packages will only compile as a non root user for securuty
reasons...

Make a directory tree under your home dir like the existing
/usr/src/redhat tree

mkdir ~/rpm

BUILD
RPMS/noarch
RPMS/i386
RPMS/i486
RPMS/i586
SOURCES
SPECS
SRPMS
tmp

Make a .rpmmacros file (replacing the values with your ones)

%_topdir                /home/ch/rpm
%_tmppath               /home/ch/rpm/tmp

%distribution          vannevar
%vendor                vannevar (http://vannevar.encypher.net)
%packager              Colin Humphreys <ch@nospam.encypher.net>

Now you should be able to do it non-root.
-Colin