Re: [SLUG] Apache: why doesn't "allow from localhost work" ?

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 05:11:24PM +1000, Mike Lake wrote:
> # allow from localhost      # why does this not work?

Are you pointing your browser at
  http://localhost/blah
or at:
  http://mycomputername/blah
?

At a guess, the first should work, and the second shouldn't.  Your
browser is free to bind to any local interface it likes when it creates
a socket to connect to somewhere... default behaviour for sockets is to
try pick an appropriate interface, so if you point your browser at a
"real" IP addres, or a domain name that maps to one, it will connect
from your internet connection's address, not your localhost one.

I hope this helps (and I hope I'm making sense :)

-Andrew.