Re: [SLUG] Linux servers growing in numbers out there

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 08:16:46PM +1000, Booth, Christopher (Aus) - ATP wrote:

> They do choke the box, but they are a big selling point of GNU/Linuxes
> ability (in Windoze users eyes) to replace windows.  Windows just doesn't
> grind so much to a halt when running Netscape or IE5, Outlook Express plus
> Musicmatch Jukebox etc...

you're talking about Linux in a more desktoppy role there, which is an
area it is still maturing in.  see below.

> I want to go Linux only, just wish things would work faster.

optimisation is typically the last part of the development process.  on a
positive note, at least things work reasonably well right now 8).  watch
KDE in 2 years' time and i'm sure it's going to be much more optimised
(and hopefully much faster) then than it will be today.  give it time.
keep in mind that this stuff hasn't been in development for all that long.
patience is a virtue.

linux on servers typically don't bother with X, since the majority of
configuration is done by hand-editing configuration files.  (if you don't
know how to do that, learn it!  it's a very valuable skill indeed, and the
only way to make sure that your "Linux knowledge" works on all
distributions.)

one alternative you might want to look at, if you're using Linux on
servers and don't have the time to learn about configuration files, is a
web interface like Webmin.  much lighter on resources than full-blown
GNOME/KDE/X configuration tools, and you get the benefit of being able to
configure your machine with a web browser.

i'd still recommend that you learn how to hack at the text configuration
files, though, even if you decide to go with some sort of
super-configuration utility.  the HOWTOs (www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/) are a
very good start.

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone@nospam.algorithm.com.au>          - trust.in.love.to.save