Re: [SLUG] Linux servers growing in numbers out there

"Booth, Christopher (Aus) - ATP" wrote:

...snip....
> He is using it on a Pentium II 350 with 64 megs of ram, but was surprised by
> the amount of space required by the install 1.3 or something gigs.  It does
> run slowly though.

He can probably throw most of it away, but I suppose he wants gui
config.

> On a side but related note.
>
> I just installed RedHat 7.1 at home too on the weekend, and I have a Cyrix
> 300 with 64 Megs of Ram.  I too find it very slow, lots of disk access for
> virtual memory.
> I stopped most unnecessary services.  Any ideas on getting it going faster
> and more efficiently.  I have KDE and gnome installed but running a browser
> like Netscape or Mozilla grinds everything to a halt.

You have just list three Gnu/Linux bloatware apps. Netscape expands to
fill the available space. KDE & Gnome positivel choke any boxen. I made
the mistake of running Netscape on Gnome on P200 recently - glacially
slow.

> One of the big reasons for using Linux or GNU/Linux is the ability to run it
> on lower spec hardware, which I've been doing for the last 3 or so years.

For X use, fvm or something.

   email: terryc@nospam.woa.com.au  www: http://www.woa.com.au