Re: [SLUG] PCMCIA 10/100 card tuning?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Dean Hamstead wrote:

> append options to the kernel or to the module ;)
>

> Look in the kernel source ;)

Thanks everyone for your help.
I had no idea what kernel options to pass to this PC card since it
doesn't have a real unique identifier but I used the "pcnet_cs"
value I found.   I tried all sorts of things to stop the card from
auto-negotiation but it still comes up 100TX FD.  I think I have one
of those cards that cannot be changed by the current Linux.

I would've gone through the source but I don't have room for it on the
HDD.   One of the things I tried was in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts and
adding IF_PORT=10base2 to the config.  It complained about an invalid
ioctl.  Further searching on the net indicated that this meant the
card couldn't change the port speed.

Surely there must be a way to change the port speed?!  It's a 10/100
card, meaning there are 2 choices!  I think the issue is that the
driver in Linux doesn't know how to turn off auto-negotiation
for this particular brand.... :(

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis			Optus/Excite@nospam.Home