[SLUG] Re: Dangling symlink ?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Adam F. Bogacki wrote:

> Eora:/etc/X11# ls -l ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
>
> gave me
>
> ls: ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86: No such file or directory.
>
> It seems I have a dangling symlink. How do I fix it (and my GUI back) ?

OK, you're missing the xserver-xfree86 package.  You'll also be missing a
pile of others.

apt-get install xserver-xfree86 xbase-clients

should pull in all the important ones, for now.  You'll probably want to
peruse the fonts, too.

>   xlib6g     4.0.3-4      pseudopackage providing X libraries.

Yup, you've got half of X 4.

What happened is that XFree moved from having a multitude of different X
servers (such as XF86_SVGA, XF86_S3, etc) to having one - XFree86.  This
then pulls in loadable modules from everywhere to support whatever card you
actually have.

The problem is that, for Debian, nobody managed to notice this and so when
upgrading to XFree 4, it doesn't install the XFree86 X server unless you
specifically tell it to.

> Where do I go from here ?

Run the apt-get I gave above, and see what happens.  There may be some more
video config required - we'll see how we go.

- Matt