Re: [SLUG] Sendmail problem

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 11:21:20PM +1000, Del (del@nospam.babel.com.au) wrote:
> root wrote:

[snip]

> > Anyone like to pass me a cluestick?  What have I missed?
>
> Red Hat hate you.
>
> For some fsking reason they have decided that sendmail is
> "insecure" when listening across a network, and so the default
> sendmail.cf file stops it listening on any address other than
> localhost.

Same here.
I installed a fresh RH7.1, using the server option. You would assume
that a MAILSERVER should be listening accross the world to receive mail, eh?

I assume because of the security flaws they had in the lst distro they opted
for a tighter security when installing .....

> Install the sendmail-cf package, and look at /usr/share/sendmail-cf/cf/redhat.mc
> Find these lines, from 44 - 47:
>
> dnl This changes sendmail to only listen on the loopback device 127.0.0.1
> dnl and not on any other network devices. Comment this out if you want
> dnl to accept email over the network.
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

alternatively (as this is based on TCP-WRAPPERS you can just
include sendmail in the host.allow file with "open" Ip addresses.....

jobst

--
My software never has bugs; it just develops random features.

|            __, Jobst Schmalenbach, jobst@nospam.barrett.com.au, Technical Director|
|  _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L      |
|-(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia|