RE: [SLUG] Radical Solutions ...

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Adam F. Bogacki wrote:

> The piece below should have read
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jun 15 23:52 /etx/X11/X ->
> ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

Phew.  I was getting a bit worried that there were bigger issues running
around here.

> It seems I am running 'X11R6' rather than 'X11'  -  whatever that means.

They're the same thing.  The current release of the protocols and whatnot is
R6, of the 11th version of the X Windows system.  XFree86 (better called
XFree, as it's not just for Intel anymore) is an implementation of the
protocol suite.

On a Linux system, it's assumed you're running X11R6 (AKA X11).  The
important distinction is which release of XFree you're running - 3.3 or the
newer and sexier 4.

If you've upgraded, you should have XFree 4.  You can check it by doing

dpkg --list xlib6g

and see what comes up.  If ther version is something in the range 4.0.x,
then you've got XFree 4, and the symlink originally provided is all good.
If it's 3.3.6 (or similar) then you're still running the older XFree, and
should probably upgrade.

> I thought I had recently upgraded via apt-get ..... I guess I'll have to
> reboot into the Debian drive and try
>
> ls -l ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

Assuming that you do that from the /etc/X11 directory.  Symlinks are
relative to the location they're located.  So doing the command above if
you're in, say, /usr/share/doc/xserver-common will not get you what you
want...