Re: [SLUG] Sendmail problem

root wrote:

> RH 7.1
>
> Server install
>
> Sendmail is accessible by "telnet localhost 25" but not by
> "telnet "mail.mydomain.com 25" even though localhost and
> mail.mydomain.com are one and the same machine.
>
> netstat shows the smtp service as running
> expected it to be running on *:smtp.
>
> Anyone like to pass me a cluestick?  What have I missed?

Red Hat hate you.

For some fsking reason they have decided that sendmail is
"insecure" when listening across a network, and so the default
sendmail.cf file stops it listening on any address other than
localhost.

Install the sendmail-cf package, and look at /usr/share/sendmail-cf/cf/redhat.mc
Find these lines, from 44 - 47:

dnl This changes sendmail to only listen on the loopback device 127.0.0.1
dnl and not on any other network devices. Comment this out if you want
dnl to accept email over the network.
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')

... and delete them.  Rebuild redhat.cf from redhat.mc, and copy
it to /etc/sendmail.cf.  Restart sendmail.

--
Del