RE: [SLUG] Radical Solutions ...

Well, to answer your question it may be best to start at the beginning.
I can't remember what I initially did but on reboot I found myself in
console mode and could not restart X.

Upon advice, I ran, as root,

cd /etc/X11
ln -s ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 X

then running 'startx' as root elicited

/etc/X11/X is not executable, giving up.
xinit: Connection refused (erno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

running (as root)

ls -ltr /etc/X11/X

elicited

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27Jun 15 23:52

I hope that answers your questions.

How do I  "dereference the symlink and find the solution" ?

Adam.
afb3@nospam.primus.com.au