Re: [SLUG] Why does my executable [SOLUTION]

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 04:04:10PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="chesty">
>
> > chesty@nospam.starburst:~$ /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /usr/bin/xsnow
> > Xsnow-1.41, December 16th 2000 by Rick Jansen (rja@nospam.euronet.nl)
> > WWW: http://www.euronet.nl/~rja/Xsnow/
>
> Which just goes to show that on *any* secure machine, you should *always*
> remove ld-linux.so.2!

Now I'm not to silly as to do that but I would like to understand why
one can run binaries linked against this library when their executable
permissions are removed. I removed all exec permissions from xeyes
ie ugo-x and was still able to start it as a normal user using the
above trick.  (Debian potatoe)

I gather that what is running it is the library rather than me?

Mike
--
Your job is being a professor and researcher: That's one hell of a good excuse for some of the brain-damages of minix. (Linus Torvalds to Andrew Tanenbaum)

Michael Lake, University of Technology, Sydney
Work: Mike.Lake@nospam.uts.edu.au Ph: 02 9514 1724 Fx: 02 9514 1628
Home: http://www.speleonics.com.au
Linux enthusiast, active caver and interested in anything technical.