[SLUG] getting a DDS3 drive to work under RedHat7.0 with an AHA7850

Wow - so many replies so quick thanks to all:

At 01:17 PM 20/06/2001 +1000, BB wrote:

 >Do you have a stock kernel or have you built your own?

Stock - I don't believe e-smith mess with the kernel.

> >You could build your kernel and make sure the card's driver and the st
> driver
> >are included.

Can't do this as changes will be lost with version upgrades of e-smith
unfortunately.

Then John Fertillo wrote:
>If you run the commands below you should get something similar to the
>displayed output
>
># ls -l /dev/nst0
>crw-rw----    1 root     tape       9, 128 Jul  6  2000 /dev/nst0

bash-2.04$ ls -l /dev/nst0
crw-rw----    1 root     disk       9, 128 Aug 24  2000 /dev/nst0

>#cat /proc/scsi/scsi
>Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: WangDAT  Model: Model 3400DX     Rev: 1.5a
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

bash-2.04$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices: none

>#cat /proc/devices
>Character devices:
><snip>
>   9 st
><snip>

bash-2.04$ cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
   1 mem
   2 pty
   3 ttyp
   4 ttyS
   5 cua
   7 vcs
  10 misc
  14 sound
  29 fb
  36 netlink
128 ptm
136 pts
162 raw
180 usb

Block devices:
   1 ramdisk
   2 fd
   3 ide0
   9 md
  22 ide1

>the /dev/nst0 makes sure the device is setup with righ major and minor
>numbers
>
>/proc/scsi/scsi checks the device is being recognised by the linux scsi
>device driver
>
>/proc/devices checks that you have tape support compiled in to the
>kernel

Mmm - it alledgedly does have tape support it it's weird none seems to be
there.

>maybe you need to load a module

bash-2.04$ sudo /sbin/insmod st
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/scsi/st.o
insmod: a module named st already exists

Then Terry Collins wrote:
>Can you access it with control + A on boot up?

will try it later - no scsi bios loads I don't think so I doubt it.

>Does it have parameter (io, irq) that can be set (I wouldn't expect this
>with PCI) ?

No - will scan the bios again to see if maybe something is in there.

>What module are you loading to access it?

the st module is supposed to load automatically and it is judging from the
above insmod output.

>Is this a running IDE system with the scsi added in?

Yes  - a single ide drive with pci scsi.

>What parameters did you put in /etc/modules.conf?

I didn't change the parameters from the standard e-smith setup, which
alledgedly provides tape support for any redhat 7.0 compatible scsi device
and tape drive.

The e-smith website explicitly states support for my adaptec card, but it
looks to me like I still have no confirmation that the card is being seen
by e-smith.  Is there some definitive test I can run to check this short of
connecting a different scsi device?  Is the dmesg report definitive? (ie it
reports scsi hosts 0)

Thanks very much again for your feedback.

Graeme.