Re: [SLUG] Why does my executable not well.....Execute!

On 20-Jun-01 enterfornone wrote:
>> Hmmm, ok so we look on the rh7.1 install and find libXext.so.6 and
>> libX11.so.6 but libm.so.5 and libc.so.5 are missing. I thought that
>> Linux had this library version thing under control. Like the binary
>> looks for libm.so not libm.so.5. What's going on Linux this is looking
>> like a bad case of windows ddl hell.
>
> Not really, major numbers on libraries aren't compatible.  Linux, unlike
> Windows, provides a way to tell the difference between versions.
>
>> So I grab the libs off the Rh6.2
>> box and stick them on the 7.1 box and....Nothing works :-(
>
> You'll need to put the path to the new (old) libraries in /etc/ld.so.conf
> and run ldconfig
>
> You'll also (I think) need /lib/ld-linux.so.1

If you locate this (and possibly the older compatibility libraries), you
might find yourself in luck.

-G

> There should be an RPM that does all this for you, can't think of what it's
> called tho
>

> --

"DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and
millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million
machines in use wordwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that
cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do
not denote a higher life form."       (New York Times, November 26, 1991)
| Greg Hosler                           i-net:  hosler@nospam.lugs.org.sg    |