Re: [SLUG] getting a DDS3 drive to work under RedHat7.0 with an AHA7850

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 01:11:22PM +1000, Graeme Robinson wrote:
> Trying to keep it brief, comments on this issue appreciated:
>
> problem:
>
> I can't get a new tape drive working on a redhat 7.0 system
> bash-2.04$ sudo /bin/mt -f "/dev/nst0" tell
> Password:
> /dev/nst0: No such device

If you run the commands below you should get something similar to the
displayed output

# ls -l /dev/nst0
crw-rw----    1 root     tape       9, 128 Jul  6  2000 /dev/nst0
#cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: WangDAT  Model: Model 3400DX     Rev: 1.5a
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

#cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
<snip>
  9 st
<snip>

If you have any of those missing than that's a place ti start

the /dev/nst0 makes sure the device is setup with righ major and minor
numbers

/proc/scsi/scsi checks the device is being recognised by the linux scsi
device driver

/proc/devices checks that you have tape support compiled in to the
kernel

maybe you need to load a module

at a guess try insmod st or it might be scsi-tape or something. Can;t
remember off the top of my head. Have a poke around in /lib/modules

--
John Ferlito
Senior Engineer - Bulletproof Networks