Re: [SLUG] Hardley Normal

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Jon Biddell wrote:

> Just to give you an idea of how out of touch Harvey Norman is with the
> computer industry (which, to be honest, is not that surprising !!), they are
> selling the "new" SuSE Linux professional at the "special" price of $199 -
> everywhere else it's about $120.

Actually, it's not entirely Harvey's fault.. It's actually more to do
with the distributer they use. That company has been gouging the software
market for YEARS.. There the ones who sell Linux into most of the
department stores.. They claim the higher price is because they deal with
"returns" and other issues.. I've done the sums, and came to the
conclusion that they were just gouging.,. I remember asking them for
reseller pricing once, and their reseller price was considerably more than
the STREET price..

Harvey Norman are probably making 20-30% if that.. Does that give you an
idea where the real culprit is?

THat being said, HN are a pain in the butt to deal with, (From a
distributers point of view).

--
Anthony Rumble - Managing Director
EverythingLinux.com.au - The Alternative Operating System Store