Re: [SLUG] [OT] Apache access_log file on Linux server

* This one time, at band camp, james@nospam.spunkysoftware.com said:
> I'm trying to find some documentation on what the apache access_log files are. I just assumed they logged either:
> Requests for our website's page(s)
Highly likely

> or
> Requests for outside sites from inside our LAN.
Very unlikey since apache is a web server - not a proxy server

> There's some pretty weird stuff in there. None of these requests are for our site, and they are not sites anybody inside our LAN has requested with their browser.
Examples?

> So what are they??? Is it *possible* that somehow we are being used as a router and these requests are coming in through our box connected to the Internet? If so, how? I thought that I would need to specifically configure it to act as a router.

This is linux - anythings possible - but lets not jump to conclusions
just yet

Post some examples, to me or to the list, and I'll look at them.

Greeno
--
Greeno <tgreen@nospam.pacific.net.au>
GnuPG Key :  1024D/B5657C8B

Imagine working in a secure environment and finding the string
_NSAKEY in the OS binaries without a good explanation
    -Alan Cox 04/05/2001