Re: [SLUG] debian setup

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 12:47:30AM +1000, Ken Foskey wrote:

> OK I have a debian system going,  I have created a file
> /etc/modutils/network with:
>
> alias eth0 ne
> options ne io=0x300 irq=3
>
> update-modules,  reboot.
> (is this right??)

Looks good.

> This is the same /etc/network/interfaces as laptop and laptop works on
> same ethernet cable.
>
> The desktop does not work,   'insmod ne io=0x300 irq=3' then ifup works
> and then ipup eth0 works.   The issue is that the ping does not work to
> my gateway. 192.168.0.100  I am switching cable to laptop with same

Are you sure that the eth0 interface has come up properly? Does ifconfig eth0
shows TX and/r RX packets?

> interface file and it is working, not cable.
>
> a) How do I configure to find eth0 without a manual insmod?

Normally I wouldn't do the aliases eth0 ne bit but simply have the
ne modules loaded at boot time by putting it in /etc/modules

As long as you leave the options there (and they are correct) it should
work.

> b) Why would ping not be working?

Either card isn't working, the modules hasn't got the right parameters,
the IP address(es) are specified incorrectly or the routing tables are
not correct.

Anand