[SLUG] debian setup

OK I have a debian system going,  I have created a file
/etc/modutils/network with:

alias eth0 ne
options ne io=0x300 irq=3

update-modules,  reboot.
(is this right??)

This is the same /etc/network/interfaces as laptop and laptop works on
same ethernet cable.

The desktop does not work,   'insmod ne io=0x300 irq=3' then ifup works
and then ipup eth0 works.   The issue is that the ping does not work to
my gateway. 192.168.0.100  I am switching cable to laptop with same
interface file and it is working, not cable.

a) How do I configure to find eth0 without a manual insmod?

b) Why would ping not be working?

This will be a gateway,  I have an PCI SMC EZ card  SMC1211Tx (left from
Optus cable install) and this is not being detected by Deb 2.2.  Any
sugestions?

KenF