Re: [SLUG] What format to use for CDROM's for Linux?

Hi All,

Thanks Mathew, Howard, enterfornone & Crossfire.

Crossfire wrote:
> Michael Lake was once rumoured to have said:
> > The Cave Radio and Electronics Group is going to be burning a CDROM
> > of all back issues of their Journal and will prob be using PDF and
> > maybe some HTML. I want to make sure that when they make it it will
> > work under my Linux.
> > I know that some CDROMs that I have dont work properly under
> > Linux/UNIX as the links in HTML don't work except under Windows but
> > some do.

> This is mostly caused by people in the windows world ignoring that
> some systems are case sensitive.

Got ya. OK

> Build and test your material on a *nix system, make sure it all works.
> Keep your filenames to 8.3 wherever possible (MacOS didn't support
> Joliet or Rockridge for some time - you can experiment with HFS hybrid
> options if you want).  Use mkhybrid to build your iso - make it a ISO
> + Joliet + Rockridge disc.

Fortunately I won't be doing it (lots of work) but the group is discussing
via email some things like how to do this I want it to work when I get
my copy from them. If I understand a bit I can pass on any suggestions.

> make it a ISO + Joliet + Rockridge disc.
> This will give you the best blanket support for Windows, *nix and Mac
> machines.

So to summarise:
* If they make it ISO9660 only the CD will only have 8.3 filenames
but Win/Unix and Mac will be able to read it. Make any HTML with consistent
case in filenames.

* If ISO9660 + Joliet they can give long filenames to the files
for Windows users eg. "Issue 43 January 1999" rather than 43jan99.pdf
but Unix what would unix/Linux users see?

> Joliet is M$ 'Doze's long filename extension which essentially
> provides the same capabilities as VFAT.
> Rockridge is the Unix extensions to ISO9660 which provide unix style
> file permissions, char/block devices, long filenames, etc.

If one were just reading the CDROM would a unix user need that? For
a CD of PDF articles and HTML they would not need file permissions.
For "long files names" what did you mean there. Do you mean understanding
the Windows long file names?

Mathew wrote...
> Pure ISO-9660 is (basically) guaranteed to work on anything.  I've never had
> a problem reading Joliet disks under Linux, but I've got Joliet support in
> my kernels.  You might not.

Is this what the Rock Ridge extensions support? ie if one does not have Joliet
in ones kernel. Does the Rock Ridge extensions support come compiled into all
Linux's?

> mkhybrid can also build HFS hybrids (HFS is the MacOS Filesystem)
> which provide MacOS systems with native filename and permission
> support - however, Metadata is always an issue in this case.  If you
> omit the HFS section, MacOS will fall back to the ISO9660 standard
> component, and use its DOS compatibility support to handle file
> extensions and types.

Excellent.

Thanks Howard for the script. Although I wont be making it it's the
1st time I have seen a script for this and I now know a bit more about
what one can write with mkisofs.

Mike