Re: [SLUG] What format to use for CDROM's for Linux?

Michael Lake was once rumoured to have said:
> Hi All,
>
> The Cave Radio and Electronics Group is going to be burning a CDROM
> of all back issues of their Journal and will prob be using PDF and
> maybe some HTML. I want to make sure that when they make it it will
> work under my Linux.
>
> I know that some CDROMs that I have dont work properly under
> Linux/UNIX as the links in HTML don't work except under Windows but
> some do.

This is mostly caused by people in the windows world ignoring that
some systems are case sensitive.

> I have heard of Rock-Ridge extensions and there are others but I am
> not familiar with them. Whats the filesystem that CDROMs can be
> burnt with so that they are usable under all operating systems -
> Mac/Win/Lin. What filesystems aren't UNIX friendly?

Well... do what I would do:

Build and test your material on a *nix system, make sure it all works.
Keep your filenames to 8.3 wherever possible (MacOS didn't support
Joliet or Rockridge for some time - you can experiment with HFS hybrid
options if you want).  Use mkhybrid to build your iso - make it a ISO
+ Joliet + Rockridge disc.

This will give you the best blanket support for Windows, *nix and Mac
machines.

Joliet is M$ 'Doze's long filename extension which essentially
provides the same capabilities as VFAT.

Rockridge is the Unix extensions to ISO9660 which provide unix style
file permissions, char/block devices, long filenames, etc.

mkhybrid can also build HFS hybrids (HFS is the MacOS Filesystem)
which provide MacOS systems with native filename and permission
support - however, Metadata is always an issue in this case.  If you
omit the HFS section, MacOS will fall back to the ISO9660 standard
component, and use its DOS compatibility support to handle file
extensions and types.

C.