Re: [SLUG] Re: Anything like pcAnywhere - some interesting twists

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 08:04:47PM +1000, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> ...Hmmm, tried that, but no difference.  Windows with blowfish is still
> fast, and Linux with blowfish is still as slow.

Just something to try if you're bored, I have no idea if it
will achieve anything.

Try something like tcpdump -s200 -vvv and look at the difference
in ip and tcp options that linux and windows use. cat around
in /proc/sys/net/ and try changing some options, turn
off features that linux use that windows don't, etc. Linux might
be turning on ip or tcp flags that the routers have a problem with, or
playing nicely and using explicit congestion notification,
(/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn) where as windows just blasts away
and hopes for the best. (I think in theory it should be faster with ecn
on, but ... )

Like I said, its just an idea you could try, I could be way off.

Have a read of /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt
in the /proc/sys/net(/ipv4) chapters for options to play with.