Re: [SLUG] RE: Anything like pcAnywhere?

Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Howard Lowndes">
>
> > I ended up using the offering from www.tightvnc.com.  It's certainly far
> > better than the basic product especially with ssh compression, but still
> > doesn't hold a candle to pcAnywhere; I guess they must be using some real
> > tight algorythms (sp??)
>
> You didn't actually mention if you were using this with X or... something
> else. If it's X, use X!
If wanting to display X on PC we utilise Xwin32 that now includes ssh
and achieve x display over dial up lines.

> pcAnywhere simply has the advantage that it's targeting a known environment,
> and can throw in as many miserable hacks as it needs to to make it work
> quickly. VNC is fully cross-platform, both the client and the server, so
> cannot make too many assumptions.
>
> - Jeff
>
> --
>       "Life is short. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly." - Robert Doisneau
>
> --

  Mr R,. B. Skeoch
  Managing Director, Muli Management Pty Ltd.
  124 Fox Valley Road, Wahroonga, NSW. 2076, Australia.
  Ph; 02-9487 3241, Fx; 02-9487 3583, Email; rbs@nospam.muli.com.au
  Project Financial Management Accounting Software, Linux Solutions