Re: [SLUG] FW: X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X

Adam F. Bogacki was once rumoured to have said:
> Hi, I was enjoying my apt upgraded Deb 2.2r2 when on reboot it unexpectedly
> went into console mode.
> startx as root in / elicited
>
> "X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting. giving up.
>  xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error"

I don't want to sound excessively narky, but RTFEM[1].  Its already
told you where/what you should be looking at.

The new X wrappers use /etc/X11/X as a symlink to the correct X server
binary to run.  On a machine using XFree 4.x, you'd symlink it to
/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.

You can correct this by running (as root):

cd /etc/X11
ln -s ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 X

On older versions of XFree, you'll have to work out what the correct
server is, and symlink it instead.

C.

[1] EM == Error Message