[SLUG] FW: X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X

Hi, I was enjoying my apt upgraded Deb 2.2r2 when on reboot it unexpectedly
went into console mode.
startx as root in / elicited

"X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting. giving up.
 xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error"

I have tried editing /etc/inittab and changing default runlevel 2 to 5 in

"id:2:initdefault:"

and also Ctrl-Alt-F7

with no result.

I dont really wish to re-install a lovingly upgraded system - but at present
can see no other option.

Any ideas ?

Adam Bogacki,
afb3@nospam.primus.com.au

P.S. I admit I had had a hard night before that session but the only thing I
can think of doing which might have caused it was running
apt-get clean    and then
apt-get autoclean
in order to increase memory.

I can't see that it would have changed any config files.

P.P.S. I think I'm still (X)sane.