Re: [SLUG] MYSQL

Simon Bryan wrote:

> Hi,
> Can someone explain what the following means? I have copied the script to
> /etc/init.d but what does it mean by the linking?
> Do I just make a soft link from these directories to the script?
>
> # Usually this is put in /etc/init.d (at least on machines SYSV R4 based
> # systems) and linked to /etc/rc3.d/S99mysql and /etc/rc0.d/S01mysql.
> # When this is done the mysql server will be started when the machine is
> # started and shut down when the systems goes down.

I don't have MySQL on my Debian machine but here is an example with ppp.
Just replace that with mysql.

in /etc/rc3.d directory we have
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Sep 15  2000 S14ppp -> ../init.d/ppp

in /etc/rc2.d directory we have
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Sep 15  2000 S14ppp -> ../init.d/ppp

ie in each rc?.d directory that you want to start the service in place a
symlink to the real service script in /etc/init.d
ie

ln -s /etc/init.d/mysql /etc/rc3.d/S99mysql   etc...

Mike