Re: [SLUG] MYSQL

* This one time, at band camp, Simon Bryan said:
> Hi,
> Can someone explain what the following means? I have copied the script to
> /etc/init.d but what does it mean by the linking?
> Do I just make a soft link from these directories to the script?
>

> # Usually this is put in /etc/init.d (at least on machines SYSV R4 based
> # systems) and linked to /etc/rc3.d/S99mysql and /etc/rc0.d/S01mysql.
> # When this is done the mysql server will be started when the machine is
> # started and shut down when the systems goes down.

System V init scripts work like this

(note: on redhat change /etc/ to /etc/rc.d/)

/etc/rc[0-6S].d are run levels for the machine
	0		Down
	1&S		Single user
	2-4		Various levels of multiuser
	5		Poweroff on Sun - X on Redhat (confusing!)
	6		Reboot

Entries in these directories should be in the following format
/etc/rc2.d/S20mysql which will be a link (soft) to /etc/init.d/mysql.

This will cause MySQL to be started on entering run-level 2.  The number
(20 in this case) dictates the order in which things are started (1
first). This allows you to ensure networky dependent stuff doesn't come up
before your network.

Follow the same format for stopping (eg link /etc/init.d/mysql to
/etc/rc0.d/K20mysql to stop Mysql when entering run level 0

The scripts in /etc/init.d should accept a minimum of start and stop as
parameters.  A lot of new scripts allow for restart, status and various
other things.

HTH

Greeno
--
Greeno <tgreen@nospam.pacific.net.au>
GnuPG Key :  1024D/B5657C8B

Imagine working in a secure environment and finding the string
_NSAKEY in the OS binaries without a good explanation
    -Alan Cox 04/05/2001