Re: [SLUG] X video drivers

on Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 11:44:15AM +1000, Peter McCarthy <peterm@nospam.dva.net.au> wrote:
> Howdy
>
> I am playing with a new install of RH7.1 on a PC that seems to be giving the
> vidoe drivers some grief.
> How do I stop the X stuff on startup so I can get in and modify my video driver
> settings ?

At the lilo prompt do "linux single", to bring you to single user mode from
boot.

edit the /etc/inittab file and see the section

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#

Change

id:5:initdefault:

id:3:initdefault:

Now play with your video card settings using "startx" to kick off X each time.
You should also be able to kill X with "ctrl-alt-delete".

BB