[SLUG] Problem sharing line with mgetty and fax machine

Hey Slugs,
Long time lurker, first time poster...

Has anyone fixed this problem before (or recognise what I'm doing
wrong).  I'm having a problem with mgetty and a standalone fax machine
which are sharing the same line. The modem that mgetty is using is
configured for distinctive ring and should only recognise a RING2
signal. mgetty will pick up a RING2 after 2 rings, the fax machine will
pickup any other call after 4 rings. Callers in my "disinctive ring
list" are recognised by modem/mgetty and can connect with no problem.
The problem occurs when other callers try to use the fax machine. The
modem ignores the RING, but when the fax machine answers after the 4th
ring, mgetty hears what's going on and tries to pick up the call too.

The problem also seems to occur only when the caller sends a fax-id.
Faxes with no fax-id are received with no problem.

Is there someway to get mgetty (or the modem) to ignore a call that's
been picked up by the fax machine? I've tried &C0 and &D0 for the modem
and -D for mgetty. No luck.

I'm using:
Debian 2.2r3
Kernel 2.2.18pre21
mgetty 1.1.21-3

The modem is an old ISA Webexcel 56k.
The fax machine is a HP3100.

Other (possibly) relevant bits:
/etc/inittab
T0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -n 2 -x 4 -D /dev/ttyS0

/etc/mgetty/mgetty.config
debug 4
speed 115200
init-chat "" ATZ OK
data-only y

I haven't touched the sendfax config, hence the wrong device name 'n'
all, but here it is.
/etc/mgetty/sendfax.config
verbose y
debug 5