[SLUG] X DPMS question

When I upgraded to RedHat 7, I found myself running XFree86 4.
X works fine, except for one problem - DPMS doesn't seem to work the
way it did before.

It used to be that when I went
	xset dpms force off
the monitor went "off" (the orange "power saving" light went on instead
of the green power one, and it took maybe thirty seconds to come back
to full brightness when I moved something).  But now when I do that,
the screen just goes blank (and comes on instantly when I do anything)
-- it seems to be going into standby mode.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?  (The video card is a
Matrox Mystique, the monitor is a Sony Multiscan 20 SE.)

Danny.