Re: [SLUG] OT - Telstra to cap flat rate ADSL & Cable plans at 3Gb/month

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 12:13:51PM +1000, Alister Waller wrote:
> Most things in the USA are cheaper...

As someone who has just spent 2 years living in San Franciso, Sillicon
Valley and New York City, that is a crock of shit.  Almost everything in
the USA is more, much more expensive than here in Australia.

It is true that historicaly bandwidth has been very expensive here, but
with the advent of Southern Cross that is slowly changing.  The cost of
broadband here in Sydney, though more expensive that what I was paying in
the states, isn't that much more. The cost of some things, particulalry
consumer goods are also a little bit cheaper over there. But when it comes
to day to day costs like rent (or buying a property), food, transport, even
petrol, we're cheaper here.

Bottom line is, that the quality of life is a lot better here, even
if some things are more expensive.

> and besides, who would want to live there?? its full of americans.

Amen to that :)

> We do not have the 260 million people in australia to support the kind of
> infrastructure they have thats why it costs more here. We have not had cable
> TV as long nor is it as popular. We have a lot more remote regions that
> Telstra have to provide services to and probably run at a loss to do this
> and make up the difference from us city slickers. I must be one of the rare
> happy telstra customers....:))

It is true that America does get a lot of infastructure, like cable before
Australia. It is also true that this is largely due to the size of the
markets. But it is also true that they tend to rush out and implement the
first technology available, where as here we often get the benifit of
rolling out 2nd or 3rd generation technology. The Mobile phone network in
the USA is a good example, its there, its pretty cheap, but is has the
coverage of an umbrella made from a fly screen.

--
Horms
 horms@nospam.valinux.com