Re: [SLUG] OT - Telstra to cap flat rate ADSL & Cable plans at3Gb/month

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Len Walter wrote:

> > The sole and only reason I don't already have O@nospam.H is that the installation
> > fee is ridiculous _unless_ you sign up for a 12 month contract.
> >
> > I can't guarantee I'll be living in this house in 12 months. And I don't
> > want to pay $600 to get the installation done.
>
> The $600 is a lot, but it includes the cable modem and 4-5 hours of work for
> the technician...not that I paid it, I got a contract!

Not here it isn't - the cable is already in place, and needs only the
cable modem connected, and activation at the head end.

And I refuse to pay $600 for that.

> What you can do is get the 12 month contract which I think is $200 install
> and then if you move, ask for a "move and follow" where they'll install the
> service in your new house for $80 (don't quote me on that, but it's about
> right) on the same contract. That's what I'm planning to do when I move.
> (I was a customer before I was an employee).

Trouble with that is that where I'm likely to move to, Optus cable isn't.

DaZZa