Re: [SLUG] OT - Telstra to cap flat rate ADSL & Cable plans at3Gb/month

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Len Walter wrote:

[...stats deleted...]

> You've got to understand that
> they are selling access to a limited resource (bandwidth) and they need to
> ensure fair access to it.

Oh, I understand that perfectly well - and I even appreciate it.

What I object to is the selling of "unlimited" accounts that are no such
thing.

I don't direct this at Optus - once they got bitten in the arse by the
ACCC over their change they stopped calling it "unlimited", which is fair
enough.

> To the people who say 3GB/month is enough, I say that's not what broadband is
> for. Broadband is for watching overseas sport or TV shows that aren't shown
> in .au but are netcast live; being able to download movie trailers in
> seconds; being able to download ISOs of Linux; listening to one of the
> thousands of net radio stations worldwide; and all the uses that no one's
> though of yet. Why get broadband if you're not going to use its capabilities?

Thank you. My point exactly.

> Disclaimer - I work for Excite@nospam.Home (www.excitehome.com.au), the company that
> provides the Optus@nospam.Home service. There's a chance I may be biased :).
> Obviously this is all my personal opinion and I am not speaking for
> Excite@nospam.Home or Optus.

The sole and only reason I don't already have O@nospam.H is that the installation
fee is ridiculous _unless_ you sign up for a 12 month contract.

I can't guarantee I'll be living in this house in 12 months. And I don't
want to pay $600 to get the installation done.

DaZZa