Re: [SLUG] Apology

Well,

I am appalled.

What a sorry state we find ourselves in when we find people
flaming a young fellow whose is desperately seeking employment.

It must be so easy to ignore the plight of those less well off when
one brings home a weekly paycheck.

Yes, this list IS for the discussion of Linux related topics.  I have
been subscribed for some time now and often suffer the idle chatter
and general garbage in a tolerant silence.  I would argue that young
james@nospam.spunkysoftware.com, and his cry for employment is much
more relevant to this list than some of rhe hypocrytical twaddle that
passes for "informed comment".  And if you disagree, then you
either have a heart of stone or have never been unemployed and so
desperate to find a job that you would risk the public
embarrassment associated with a posting of his type.  And for the
record, I dispute that his posting could be regarded as an
advertisment except by the most hard-headed and boring cynic.  I
would categorise it as a cry for help from a list of (typically more
fortunate) peers, and as this list is meant to help people who are
interested in Linux, I would argue that james' cry for help fits the
mould perfectly.

To you james@nospam.spunkysoftware.com, I wish you good luck in your
quest for employment.  Keep up the work and don't be
disheartened or put off by those less tolerant than the majority on
this list.

A word of advice (from one who has been a part of this industry for
over 30 years): Get on the phone and ring every company you
would wish to work for.  Talk to the personnel officer and seek
employment in your chosen discipline or in a discipline close to it.

You will most likely find that you are surprised by the response.  It
can be a bonus for a company to pick up an employee in such a
fashion, you see if you were to seek employment through a
professional employment agency. they will charge your employer a
minimum amount equivalent to three months of your salary, and
not just that, but then there is the time spent by management in
interminable interviews which cuts into their productivity.  Give it a
go, and don't lose heart.  Oh, and DO NOT send your resume
unless they show some interest.

Russell

[SLUG] Apology