Re: [SLUG] Re: Problem following Debian (testing) upgrade

* Angus Lees (gusl@nospam.cse.unsw.edu.au) wrote:
> \begin{Ken Caldwell}
> > Earlier today I upgraded another computer running Debian (testing).
> > Now I cannot log in.
>
> > I have tried "changing" the password of my user account back to what
> > it was but still cannot login and I have created a new dummy account
> > but cannot log in to it either.
> > The system uses shadow passwords with MD5.
> > Can anyone suggest where I should start looking to isolate the problem?
>
> /var/log/auth.log and /etc/pam.d/login
> (check the md5 lines are still enabled in /etc/pam.d/login)
>
> thats a pretty severe breakage. what sorts of things did you answer
> "Yes" to during the upgrade?

I don't remember answering any questions.  If there were any they must have been
pretty inocuous (sp?) looking. Most of the time I was out of the room!  I can't
ftp to or from the box at the moment so I can't attach the logs but it appears that
something has happend to corrupt /lib/security/pam_env.so
the following lines appear where I was trying to login to the newly created account.
Jun  7 20:07:20 adler login[17328]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_env.so)
Jun  7 20:07:20 adler login[17328]: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_env.so: invalid ELF header]
Jun  7 20:07:20 adler login[17328]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_env.so
Jun  7 20:07:30 adler login[17328]: FAILED LOGIN (1) on `tty2' FOR `jan', Module is unknown
It looks like I have either picked up a corrupted file or the hard drive is on the way out.

ken