Re: [SLUG] OT - Telstra to cap flat rate ADSL & Cable plans at 3Gb/month

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:18, DaZZa wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Alister Waller wrote:
> > The answer is simple, you don't accept the 3GB download limit then go
> > somewhere else. Thats cool by me :))
>
> Simple question.
>
> Where?

Optus@nospam.Home cable. The cap is 10 times the average usage minus outliers (the
top and bottom 5% are removed before the calculation of the average.) That
means you can download 600MB+ a day for two weeks before you have problems.
That's 600x14 = 8.4GB/fortnight, and because it's a rolling average you can
do 3GB in a day as long as you do less over the next few days to make up for
it. (60MB figure from http://www.ausbug.org/faq/netstats.html).

The effect is not to limit usage as much as to make it fair - Telstra
mentioned in the press release that 5% of users were using 35% of the
traffic. The Optus@nospam.Home situation was similar before the cap was introduced.
It meant that (eg) 95% of users were subsidising the 5% highest users in a
*massive* way. It's not fair on the majority. You've got to understand that
they are selling access to a limited resource (bandwidth) and they need to
ensure fair access to it.

To the people who say 3GB/month is enough, I say that's not what broadband is
for. Broadband is for watching overseas sport or TV shows that aren't shown
in .au but are netcast live; being able to download movie trailers in
seconds; being able to download ISOs of Linux; listening to one of the
thousands of net radio stations worldwide; and all the uses that no one's
though of yet. Why get broadband if you're not going to use its capabilities?

Disclaimer - I work for Excite@nospam.Home (www.excitehome.com.au), the company that
provides the Optus@nospam.Home service. There's a chance I may be biased :).
Obviously this is all my personal opinion and I am not speaking for
Excite@nospam.Home or Optus.

<end of advertisement>

O@nospam.H is uncapped speed-wise.