RE: [SLUG] OT - Telstra to cap flat rate ADSL & Cable plans at3Gb/month

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Aussie wrote:

> > We do not have the 260 million people in australia to support the kind of
> > infrastructure they have thats why it costs more here. We have not had cable TV
> > as long nor is it as popular. We have a lot more remote regions that Telstra
> > have to provide services to and probably run at a loss to do this and make up
> > the difference from us city slickers. I must be one of the rare happy telstra
> > customers....:))
>
> Why then does New Zealand (that island just to the east of us with 1/3 our
> population) have such low ISP charges and such a great phone system? My brother
> lives in NZ, and he pays about 1/2 what I pay over here for equivalent service.
> Based on exchange rates, he *should* be paying about 15% more than I do.
> Population is NOT an issue here.

No, population is not an issue alone - but population AND area are.

New Zealand would fit into the lower east corner of Australia.
Infrastructure for Australia has to cover 5 to 10 times the area NZ does -
which means a corrosponding increase in costs.

And, of course, Telstra is ripping us off. :-)

DaZZa