[SLUG] Mandrake 8.0 and Adaptec SCSI bug

I have just (finally) installed Mandrake 8.0 on both my PII and AMD K6-III
PC's.

Both have Adaptec SCSI Cards (2902A and 2940UW) with CDR, CDRW, Zip etc
attached to one or the other. I removed these, and thereby all scsi
devices, for the Mandrake installs. Haven't reinstalled the cards/devices
yet.

Mandrake 8.0, on install, utilises the new SCSI module aic7xxx.o, but my
SCSI devices require aic7xxx-old.o.

Mandrake User Orgs Board has a Fix for this involving
uncompressing/recompressing initrd and the scsi module, editing a few files
etc. This has not worked for me.

As a Newbie, I was wondering what if I access my Mandrake drive, say by
booting from the Suse Alive! CD distro, can I just rename the 2
aic7xxx..... files so that the "old" module replaces the current module,
and
threfore will be accessed by initrd on boot?

If this will work, is there anything else that I need to do - such as
permissions etc?

Thanks

Bill
billb@nospam.viper.net.au