RE: [SLUG] OT - Telstra to cap flat rate ADSL & Cable plans at 3Gb/month

On 7 Jun 01, at 12:13, Alister Waller wrote:

> Most things in the USA are cheaper...
>
> and besides, who would want to live there?? its full of americans.
>
> We do not have the 260 million people in australia to support the kind of
> infrastructure they have thats why it costs more here. We have not had cable TV
> as long nor is it as popular. We have a lot more remote regions that Telstra
> have to provide services to and probably run at a loss to do this and make up
> the difference from us city slickers. I must be one of the rare happy telstra
> customers....:))

Why then does New Zealand (that island just to the east of us with 1/3 our
population) have such low ISP charges and such a great phone system? My brother
lives in NZ, and he pays about 1/2 what I pay over here for equivalent service.
Based on exchange rates, he *should* be paying about 15% more than I do.
Population is NOT an issue here.

Gnuthad

PGP Key Block available at:
http://aussie.mine.nu/aussie/pgp_key.txt