Re: [SLUG] OT - Telstra to cap flat rate ADSL & Cable plans at 3Gb/month

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 12:15:04PM +1000, DaZZa (dazza@nospam.zip.com.au) wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, James Buchanan wrote:

[snip]

> There is, unfortunately, a huge difference between the US/Canada and
> Australia.
>
> Australia has roughly the same land mass {in area} as the continental USA
> {Alaska excluded}. However, we have roughly one fifteenth the population
> over which to spread infrastructure costs.

That is correct.

> This is where the difference comes in - the infrastructure {cable,
> exchanges, dslams etc} cost the same over here as they do in the US - but
> for every piece of gear in the US there's 15 people to spread the cost
> over compared to one person over here.

I dont mind paying more for the hardware costs.
I dont mind paying more for installation.
I dont mind paying more for services like reparing/customer service ....

But I mind to pay stupid prices for a service which does not involve
supervision as per user base.

I had a chat a few weels back with the Telstra techie.
I was trying to find out how I can connect my home to my office.
So I talked to the techie regarding setting up a point to point
ISDN link.

The guy on the other site said after I questioned the price structure:

   "We can afford to ask this prices, there's nobody else."

I have nothing moreto say.
jobst

--
If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

|            __, Jobst Schmalenbach, jobst@nospam.barrett.com.au, Technical Director|
|  _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L      |
|-(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia|