RE: [SLUG] OT - Telstra to cap flat rate ADSL & Cable plans at3Gb/month

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Alister Waller wrote:

> 3GB is loads for a home account.
>
> What would you want more for???

Lessee.

1 Debian ISO - 650 meg
1 kernel source tree download - 20 meg
1 software .ZIP, downloaded 3 times because the shitty server it's on
corrupting it in transit - 120 meg.
1 set of upgrades for SuSE 7 - 65 meg

That's 800 meg - almost one third of the allocation - in one day. That
ignores sucking down binary newsgroups, or streaming video, or any of the
other "benefits" broadband is supposed to make available.

> Its funny that people who are concerned about emails being in text and
> snipping off previous comments to save bandwith would be upset over a 3GB
> download limit. Thats a hell of a lot of text.

Sure, if text is all you're downloading.

> Our whole company (6 users) use 2-3GB a month and we like to download a fair
> bit of stuff.

Sure - company. Probably with pretty stringent useage policies, and
firewalling and what not, stating that downloads are for business use
only.

Home use is for fun. There's different criteria operating.

Besides, what pisses a LOT of people off is the fact that Telstra tag it
as an "unlimited" plan when it's nothing of the bloody sort, and never has
been. Same reason there was such a hue and cry when Optus put the cap on
their "unlimited" plan.

> my 20c worth.

22c, including GST. :-)

DaZZa