Re: [SLUG] Re: Compile errors

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Angus Lees wrote:

> > fred:~/links-0.95 # make
> > gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.     -g -O2 -c af_unix.c
> > In file included from /usr/include/stdlib.h:492,
> >                  from links.h:10,
> >                  from af_unix.c:1:
> > /usr/include/alloca.h:33: syntax error before `void'
> > make: *** [af_unix.o] Error 1
> > fred:~/links-0.95 #
> >
> > Anyone know what it means? SuSE 7.0, with update patches from about a
> > month ago.
>
> it probably means there's a syntax error before "void" on line 33 of
> alloca.h

Except there *is* no "void" on line 33 of alloca.h

> exactly what does that line say?
> (my libc headers seem to be a little different to yours)

ehtern __ptr_t alloca __P ((size_t __size));

And I'm pretty sure I see the problem - I think it should be "extern" not
"ehtern" at the start of that line, right?

I won't change it until someone with a wiser head then mine agrees, but if
I remember any of my basic C classes, "ehtern" is not a valid verb for C.

> what sort of evil #define's exist in links.h and config.h ?

I have no idea. How do you tell if a #define is evil? Does it have a
little comment saying "I am Evil" or "Bill Gates loves me" or what? :-)

DaZZa