Re: [SLUG] Kernel sources

Ken Foskey wrote:

> My video has died on my main box so I cannot move to Debian. It works
> fine as an X server so my trusty 486 is running everything.
>
> The weirdest thing happened, installed second network card (PCI) and my
> video totally stopped working,  replaced with new card.  Not even the
> boot up screen appears,  the X signon does appear but the mouse is a
> block and only half screen.  I have removed ALL cards from the box
> rebooted,  Held the Insert key while booting, flushes CMOS apparently.
> Does anyone have any guesses on this problem.  (AOpen motherboard.)

Many motherboards use the first three PCI slots as master slots and the
others as secondaries and share resources with other slots. If you have
an AGP slot it counts as the first PCI slot. Some video cards will not
share with anything so if a network card is placed in the slot that it
shares resources with there can be problems. Try using only the first
three slots and put the video card in the first slot (nearest the power
supply usually).

Stay well adn happy
Heracles