Re: [SLUG] Upgrading to RH 7.1

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 10:24:10AM +1000, Jin Ting Liew (jin@nospam.student.unsw.edu.au) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Redhat 7.0 on a little server that shares an internet
> connection using ipchains.  It works fine at the moment, but I'm
> thinking of upgrading to RH 7.1 which of course has the new 2.4
> kernel.  Will ipchains still function correctly (or should i say in
> the same way) under 2.4 and RH 7.1?  This is just in case implementing
> the routing tables in 2.4 takes a lot of fiddling (or if I give up in
> the end = ).

When RH 7.1 installs, it puts an ipchains script into /etc/rc.d/init.d
saving your old one. This, however, has little or no functionality as it works
together with the "firewall" stuff. This is only a limited version and
only good for the average user, but its quite secure.

However, the new kernel does not include by default the ipchains module (!!!!),
so you need to "modload" or "insmod" this before you set up your ipchains!
Otherwise, you can use the old stuff, just make sure you load the module!

I wondered why two programs, so I asked Rusty (the writer of ipchains/iptables)
a couple of questions. He basically said that ipchains is fine, you can continue to
use it and it will still be worked on, but iptables has a few more
advanced features. So when I have lots of time (never?) I will re-write my
rules and load iptables instead.

--
<Hoju> Keyboard solo! skskskskskskskskskskskskskskskskskskskskksksksksks

|            __, Jobst Schmalenbach, jobst@nospam.barrett.com.au, Technical Director|
|  _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L      |
|-(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia|